Wednesday, January 13, 2010

a new year...a new space

a space of my own

In keeping with my word of the year, Mindful, I've been thinking a lot about all the things I have in my home that really shouldn't be here. Things like old clothing that should have been donated years ago, old books that I have no intention of re-reading, old knick-knacks that I acquired in my younger years when consumption should have been my word of the year {wink}, and all the things that we don't have a need for that are just taking up space in my home and in my mind.

So, I've spent the better part of the last two days cleaning up and cleaning out. You know how the new year can be so inspiring, giving you a new outlook, and making you want to start off on the right foot. I've gone through clothing and shoes and books and clutter and packed them all up in boxes for donation. Oh...and that was just my bedroom.

My bedroom, in particular, is really a huge room and that means it's way too easy to put things in there to "come back to later" and well, "later" never comes. The next thing you know, I have boxes stacked in every corner and I honestly couldn't tell you what was in any of them. Thankfully "later" arrived this week. And, in the process of removing everything that wasn't useful or important, I was able to clear a space just for me. One whole wall of my bedroom, nestled in between two windows, I was able to fit this old writing desk and chair and a few books and pens to have ready for when I want to sit and write or journal. I do love it and now I don't ever want to leave. It's really making me want to trade my old desktop computer for a nice little laptop, too, but that's getting too far ahead of myself. I foresee quite a few mornings, afternoons, and evenings spent here if for nothing more than the peace and quiet it brings.

I'm hoping my new year induced cleaning spree doesn't end too soon. If I cleaned out all the rooms of my house like I did my bedroom, things would be wonderful around here. Simple and no clutter. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!


************


You can find more thoughts on this subject here at my new
blog collaboration with Kylie, A Mindful Home (I'm really loving it there!)
and also as this week's entry in Lens.Us.Together.
Come on over and visit me there, too!

10 comments:

Cora said...

It's so nice to declutter our homes. We seem to outgrown our home space from time to time. In the cleaning up and out of things, we find new spaces, new ideas to create, and new old stuff that was forgotten about!
I will hopefully be getting to mine when I return home from Louisiana.

luksky said...

That's why I always prefer a smaller home. Even if I were a millionaire I would stick with the smaller home with smaller rooms over a big home. The more room you have the more "junk" it tends to collect. Simplify, simplify, simplify

Char said...

what a wonderful space you found for yourself - enjoy!

"Dove" said...

It makes me feel calm to just think about it. I hauled a BUNCH of junk out to the garage before the holidays. Including some rather large pieces of furniture. Then, I got a sense of panic that I might miss something so I never donated any of it. (How sad.) The garage completely stresses me out, and I have not missed a single thing out there in two months. (Hardly remember what is in all the boxes anymore.)

I need to let go...donate!....let someone else get some use and some enjoyment. We are over run with STUFF and it chokes the joy out of simple living.

Thanks for a thoughtful and well written reminder!

jess said...

Don't you just love discovering places like that? Ever since I was a child, I have loved little spaces I've discovered or created.
Mindfulness: thanks to you, I have been considering that every day, especially with losing weight. Peace of mind.

radiantreflections said...

Thats such a wonderful little (and tidy!) space you have :o) I have just spent the weekend de-cluttering. I started with the kitchen, was worried I would lose the desire to de-clutter again the next day if I stopped, so kept going - all but one cupboard left and our entire home will be free of clutter! Finally - its only taken me how long? :-p
xo

Julie said...

I love that space! Once in awhile I get to really clean and declutter, too. It feels so good. I wish I could keep up with it more often, though. =)

Kim Living Life said...

Oh I know exactly how you feel, I did the same thing on Jan 1 this year and it was wonderful. And I moved some things around and gave them a new lease of life in a different room. so cool. I love the joy and freedom that giving stuff away brings. I love that someone else can use the stuff I don't need anymore and I realise most of the time that I never really needed it in the first place.

Vanderpolclan said...

Thanks for posting this and for the link. I came over from Amy's blog (Daily pleasures). I'm sure you'll have lots of precious moments at that desk. Enjoy.

Cindy

Emily said...

Thank you for this post! It was really and Truly Inspiring : )