Thursday, December 17, 2009

Gingerbread House!

Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.  ~Laura Ingalls Wilder


The kids worked so hard on this gingerbread house the other night.
They really have fun putting these together.
I think they just love licking the icing off their fingers, though.



just a taste.


After a few rounds of holding onto the sliding roof and
praying that the sides hold up
(and about a 30 minute stay in the freezer to hopefully set the icing)
it finally seems to be holding together. I have to say
that next time we'll wait much, much longer than the recommended
time for letting the house set up. I think it needs a few hours to set rather
than the 15 minutes recommended in the directions.



finished!

So it's finished and it turned out really cute!


Thanks for the house, Maw Maw!
We had fun!







9 comments:

keli.h said...

we got the same one, and it did NOT turn out that nice!! our walls caved in several times and our roof slid off once -- good plan on the freezer. ;)

great captures, sandra!

radiantreflections said...

oh my gosh! That is the cutest gingerbread house I have ever seen! We have never made one, maybe next year when Mads is a bit older ... and I like the sounds of all that icing :-p
Kylie xo

Spaz said...

LOL...we too have that house, or had. Ours held up great...that is until the 13 year old tore one side of the roof off and chomped it down in record time! The rest of house was being nibbled to death by the same 13 yo...I finally trashed it tonight. Fun while it lasted ;~)

Liss said...

yum yum yum. The end product looks fantastic. I think I would have eaten more decorations that I cold stick on a house like this but I guess that is also part of the fun.

clairedulalune said...

Oh Sandra these are fantastic! I would be a nightmare with gingerbread houses, I would end up eating the parts i had yet to put on! I love the photographs!

Jessica said...

A gingerbread house is in our future! Yours is beautiful!

Kayte said...

Absolutely adorable!! Such fun!

We always have a gingerbread contest at our Youth Group Party. Some of the kids figured out that if they do the majority of decorating BEFORE assemblng the house, it's sturdier and easier. I was a little impressed that they came up with that techniqueon their own!

Kamana said...

how delightful... and delicious that looks.have a fabulous christmas!

...they call me mommy... said...

We did mini gingerbread houses also...so neat! :)
Merriest Christmas, Sandra!