Wednesday, December 2, 2009

December!

.....is here!

Wow!

Where does time go? These last several months have been an absolute blur to me.....so strange! But, I'm really glad that December is here. I love this time of year. There is always such a warm-togetherness kind of feeling in the air....sigh.



special gift of tea from a faraway friend....



Last Saturday I received a special little something from a friend who lives a long way from me (1,256 miles - I looked it up!) and I was finally able to "share" a cup of tea with her. I must say that the Pumpkin Spice tea was really yummy. I'll try the other two flavors later this week. Thank you, Amy!


a cup of joy


*************







I spent a lot of time early last week and all during the long holiday weekend cleaning up and cleaning out, reorganizing and getting some things done that I've been slacking on way too long. My house, my sheds, my school stuff, my kitchen....all look so much better! Now if I could just get (and keep) my bedroom looking good - why is that so hard for me? It always seems to keep itself on the bottom of my priority list, LOL! I'll get it done this week, though....I just know it!



***************








As I'm sitting here tonight, I find myself reflecting on how I started this post quite early this morning, before anyone else was up. I had a great post planned in my head and the moment my fingers touched the keyboard, I heard someone stirring down the hall. The day began before I typed out my first few sentences. I came back a while later to insert my photos and was distracted again. I came back even later to try to gather my thoughts and type out a few more sentences. And here I sit, at 11pm finally attempting to finish the post.







Life goes fast.
Really fast.
Minutes, hours, days, weeks, months......years.
It's easy for time to turn into a blur.

A blur of tasks, emotions, movements, routines, seasons...

Fall is quickly blurring and fading into winter.
Thanksgiving came and went and
Christmas will be here before we know it.

I suppose in all these moments of blur
the most important thing is being mindful.
Mindful of the little moments, the busy moments, the good moments,
the not-so-good moments.


new



Staying mindful of the tiny things around us
that make life extra special when we let them...

beautiful weather
soft rain
colorful fall leaves
a husband at home all day
a child to hold
laughter
denim
comfy new shoes (that I love!)
sweaters
pumpkin pie
coffee
tea
cranberry juice
holiday candles
the soft glow of light from the Christmas tree
a ride at night to look at the holiday lights in the nearby neighborhoods
a warm fire
meals from the garden
dinner at the table with my family
a dishwasher
a clean kitchen
sleeping kids
a quiet house
a moment to think (and turn this post into
something entirely different than originally planned)


So, in this tiny moment of life, as I sit here reflecting on the things around me,
I'll leave you with these quotes -





Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures.
~H. Jackson Brown, Jr., Life's Little Instruction Book



If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one.
~Cavett Robert




Happiness is an attitude.
We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong.
The amount of work is the same.
~Francesca Reigler



I think, what has this day brought me, and what have I given it?
~Henry Moore





16 comments:

Kylie said...

Lovely images and wonderful quotes! And gosh know how many blog posts I have started in the morning with good intention, only to not post them until that night or the next day!
I love all the "tiny things", all so beautiful in their own way :-)
xo

Char said...

I really love those quotes, especially the choice that happy or sad is exactly the same amount of work.

Beautiful thoughts - and I love the shoes too

Tonya said...

Sandra, what a beautiful beautiful post! I needed every word of it. God spoke to me through you today, thank you so much : )

Amy ♥ DailyPleasures said...

Think big thoughts, but relish small pleasures - I love that! I was so excited to see your tea bag picture come up. That was so much fun for me, putting those all together. I enjoyed "sharing" tea with you. And that is a loooong way away. :(
I would really, really love a picture of your teacup with the Cup of Joy tag. That tag always makes me happy and your photo is perfecto! Love the bokeh circles and the colors and everything else, as usual. You are one of my favorite photographers.
I, too, think it is so interesting to see how my thinking changes through the course of a day. Starting a post a night and not finishing up until later completely alters its course every time. Oh, and that word "Mindful" will stick with me throughout today. It's a good word.
Wishing you a lovely day with those you love!
Love, Amy

Julie said...

=) I love this post and as usual, your photos are gorgeous.

Andrea, the collector said...

Sandra, thanks for the reminder. These moments matter so much. It is good to be mindful of them. :)

I love your lists and quotes. Have a lovely day.

Cora said...

Wonderful nice things.....
I start some of my posts the same way...dreaming them in my head but when I get to the computer...oh well. I guess they are what they are meant to be.. Its always nice visiting you here!

Amy said...

oh girl! your place is dreamy over here! I'm trying to get back to blog life myself and now that I have you linked it will be much easier:) thought I must admit I'm having lots of fun on facebook (those games! hahahahha) with you too! your photos are gorgeous do you know that? Happy December! xo

...they call me mommy... said...

Lovely, lovely post Sandra! :)

gkgirl said...

it may not have been the post
you thought you would start with
this morning,
but i enjoyed it fully and completely.

xo

Jessica said...

I've been drinking my 'cup of joy' lately too, but have never seen that pumpkin spice blend...and swooning for those shoes!

beth said...

what a beautiful post...as if we were all sitting together in your kitchen having tea with you....talking and listening.....

and the photos were perfect too.....

Liss said...

Beautiful photos and quotes. Your daughter has gorgeous hair.

good luck with cleaning the bedroom.

Traci said...

This was a wonderful post! I love all the thoughts and photos you put together.

jacqueline said...

superb pictures!!! i want those shoes...lucky you!

spread your wings said...

beautiful thoughts and words, and photos.
your daughters hair has the most gorgeous curls, by the way.