Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Happy Fall Ya'll!

Happy Fall, Ya'll!



Fall is a happy time of year don't you think? Everything is so vibrant, the leaves are dancing, the light is perfect, the afternoon shadows seem to have a life of their own. I love this time of year and so many times I wish that our southern autumns were just a little more colorful and cool. We bounce back and forth between hot and humid to downright cold. We wear shorts one day and coats the next. Our fall isn't a steady stream of loveliness by any means, but when things seem to line up and the weather is ideal, it is mighty fine.

The kids had a blast the other day making our back porch scarecrow. An old pair of overalls, a flannel shirt, a straw hat, along with some hay and burlap, and they made a really cute back door fellow :) It's always so much fun to create these scarecrows!

Halloween is this weekend and my kids absolutely cannot wait. We always have a big bonfire with hotdogs, homemade chili, plenty of desserts and of course, candy. All the family and our really close neighbors come over, dress up, and have a great night of fun. This year my kiddos are going to be Ariel the mermaid (Claire), a scary masked man (Ethan), an old troll....SO cute (Isaac), my hubby will pick an old mask from the dress up box - probably the bearded wizard, and Emma and me are going to be just a little witchy this year. I can't wait....it's going to be so much fun :)

We usually take the kids on a hay ride down our little dirt road through the neighborhood and they stop at a few neighbors' houses. This year, I'm planning a Halloween Scavenger Hunt for my kiddos and a few of the cousins that will be joining us. I did this last year for my kids and they had the best time. I used the general ideas from this website, changing just a few things to meet our needs. I've got treats planned for each clue and I'm hoping that the weather won't be too cool to have a scavenger-hunt-finale of bobbing for apples. That is fun to do and to watch - those apples are hard to get!



mr. scarecrow



Happy Fall Y'all!

5 comments:

spread your wings said...

sounds like a blast. love your mosaic of the scarecrow construction. he turned out so cute.
have fun this weekend!

Caroline said...

You are going to have so much fun. I love Halloween...such wonder and giddy fun in one day! The scavenger hunt sounds like a hoot! Take pics of those kids bobbing for apples!

...they call me mommy... said...

Happy Fall to you too, Sandra! :)

Char said...

sounds like so much fun - I love old fashioned scavenger hunts. I hope you all have the BEST time

Anonymous said...

my family plays Clue with the old Game that was my mother's and her siblings game from back in the 1950's my kids love it! All the paper still has checks and notes from way back ! The best thing about fall is a Charlie Brown jigsaw puzzle on the card table, windows open , my lit up jack o lantern in the kitchen and kids laughing and playing about. Decorating cookies, and just enjoying nature