Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Nothing Says Spring Like New Chicks!

:)


Oh yes.....we have quite a few new additions this spring! We bought 17 new chicks at our local feed & seed store and ordered another 20. We bought Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks and put our order in for some White Rocks and Cornish X Rock broilers. Yes, I said broilers. After taking some time to think carefully about it earlier this year, we decided to go ahead and give it a try.


our new babies

chicky feet ;)





We're starting with a dozen broilers and we'll see how it goes. If all goes well, we'll reorder and do it again. These other 20 or so hens will be for eggs. After lots of reading up on chickens, these specific breeds seem to be the best year round egg layers. Once they get started we should have enough eggs to supply the neighborhood, lol!


cheep!



I love it when at Easter time we have about 100 or so eggs saved up for dyeing....so fun! The brown speckled eggs make by far the prettiest Easter eggs - the color is much richer. This is the first Easter in several years that we haven't had our own eggs, so I'll be really happy when these girls start laying this fall!

tiny feathers

so tiny


Right now, for the couple of weeks that they are cute little chicks, we'll time spend playing with them, feeding and watering them, keeping them warm, keeping them protected, letting them peck around in the grass until they're big enough to move into the big girl pens, and taking pictures because they'll be big girls in a flash!

11 comments:

Spaz said...

I AM SOOOO JEALOUS and they are tooooo cute! Good luck with them...even though I'm a city girl I crave the country charm and these little critters tugged at my heart strings! I want me some chickies!

Amy said...

Ooh, fun pictures! I LOVE baby chicks. We've done just a few on several occasions. They quickly become family pets. Our were free-roaming, so they followed the children all over and never hurt them. But then came the dreaded bobcat...

Anyway, love your photos!

Andrea said...

I love your little chicks! You're right...they just ARE spring! And congrats on all your spring cleaning. Whew!

Leslie said...

oh goodness those chicks are adorable. i dream of having our own someday. i can't wait to read more about them

randi said...

Oh cute! I want some!

Someday I am going to have chickens so I am looking forward to seeing your progress with these--all the way up to the recipe for chicken noodle soup! ;)

Kate in NJ said...

I am green with envy, and ready to move into your "neighborhood"..not just for the egss.;-)

Jessica said...

You are right....chicks scream 'SPRING' to me. In fact, we just read a book about that in first grade today.

Nature Knitting said...

How cute! I will have to show this pictures to our 4 year old. He loves all kind of living creatures. Thanks for the pictures.

Lynn said...

Sandra, I love the little chickies!! We are hoping to get some and keep them in a chicken tractor. I've been reading about chicken tractors at the suggestion of a homeschool friend. Thanks for sharing! Michaela and I oooohed and aaaahed over the pictures.

Lynn

dawn said...

how adorable! what great pictures of these cute chickies! i remember when our daughter adopted one from the ag center when we lived in athens, ga. she named him/her "peepers" naturally. peepers was so adorable when he was young. i'm stressing young here..... he was adopted by a friend when he grew up and screeched all night. he was very happy from then on, and so were we!

Andie said...

We are getting our girls this weekend! Excellent pics of yours.