Thursday, March 12, 2009

A New Skirt

watching.


Yes. I did some sewing! The weather has been warming nicely and quickly, as typical around here. My oldest girl has grown so much since last summer that there is no way she's going to be using any of last years clothes. And, as I've browsed the clothing section each week during my grocery trip, I just haven't found anything that I've been happy with for her. The fit is always too tight, too low cut, the skirts and shorts are entirely too short.....so she has been down to nothing more than a pair of athletic pants and a pair of jeans from fall that are verging on bursting at the seams, lol! Then, during a little blog-browsing the other day, I saw these adorable skirts and knew they would be perfect for spring and summer around here. I must thank Randi for the inspiration and the link to the tutorial for this super-easy-to-make skirt!



on the go...



After determining the measurements I'd need for my girl, the length turned out to be perfect, it's not too twirly and full, it's not "in the way," and it's just right for the warmer days we've been having. I can't think of a better way to use up all the little pieces of fabric that I have left over! The fabric combinations could be endless :) I am very happy with it and will hopefully have a selection ready for her this weekend.....and for my littlest girl, too :)

12 comments:

Leslie said...

i love it. i saw this same tutorial link on Randi's sight the other day and i knew that this was going to have to be on the agenda for us too. i love the fabric you used

Anonymous said...

ooohhh, sandra. not another skirt i MUST make! lol. i've been getting creative with the house on hill road twirly skirt tutorial and my girls have about 4-5 of those a piece. i hear ya on wanting more modest clothes for your girls than what's offered in the stores, so i think i need to check this one out for variety's sake. thanks!!
stephanie--cherishingmydays

Anonymous said...

oh gosh, i just went and looked at the tutorial and am having the hardest time understanding what she's saying. i do not know ANY of the "proper" sewing terms, so i have no idea what she means when she says "long tail" and "overlock". i am a little lost, and embarrassed because of it. lol.
stephanie--cherishingmydays

Little Munchkins said...

The skirt looks very pretty!

jess said...

I love that you think that way about your kids' clothing. I am not a conservative by any means, but little girls should be dressing like little girls, not sexy adults. And that's my clean statement on the situation. I wouldn't dare put the blunt version here. :o)
I am so glad you're sewing again. I must make those skirts for my friend's little girls!!!

Julia said...

Very cute!!! I wish I could sew!

Anonymous said...

sandra--thank you SO much! that made things more clear. :)
stephanie--cherishingmydays

...they call me mommy... said...

VERY SWEET! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Sorry, that was for the fact that I have so many cute skirt patterns saved in my favorites and haven't made any of them! HEEHEE! :-) Thanks for sharing the great photos and the tutorial!

Have a great Saturday!

Kate in NJ said...

very nice..I join all the others who said..
I can't sew..but I can enjoy when you do.;-)

randi said...

Isn't that the best/simplest tutorial? I love how your skirt came out and the photo of your girl running is SO cute!

Amy said...

I love this little skirt pattern! And of course it looks adorable on your little one's chunky little body. I was already in a skirt-making mood, but your version gave me some new ideas. I can't wait to get busy throughout this week. Thanks so much for sharing.

Funny, too, that I only got one comment on my creativity post from yesterday and before I even clicked on it, I just knew that it would be you. We definitely share a creative heart. I have only a couple of friends that I can get together with a begin and conversation by saying, "So what ideas have you had lately?" or "So what have you been busy creating?" I just know that we could enjoy many a creativity-filled afternoon together if we lived near one another. Instead, we can just continue to inspire one another. :)

"Dove" said...

Perfect. And I love the photo. She's off, and with such purpose! It must be the skirt. She wears it proudly. :)