Friday, March 6, 2009

It's that time of year again...

gardening books




Yep. Today we planted our garden. I thought we'd be doing more painting in our slowly-being-finished bathroom re-do, but no. Gardening it was :) Hubby had been working on tilling the soil and it was all prepared, so we headed out to the local feed and seed store for our veggie seeds and plants.



choices...choices...



We had to visit the poultry nursery for a while when we were there. Look at those little peeps! I loved the coloring on these little chicks. I thought they looked like they had on little masks. And, how cute is a kiddie pool full of little ducklings....if only I had the right place for them to live...sigh.




little peeps!




We gathered our plants and seeds and came home to get busy.




from a long day of gardening



On our list...

lettuce seed √
kale seed √
broccoli seed √
okra seed √
green bean seed √
sunflower seed √
various flower seed √
tomato plants √
jalapeno plants √
squash seed √




this will be lettuce :)




With a few packets of seeds and little manual labor, we had everything off to a good start.




little gardener...



Everything has been planted and now begins the "wait." The kids will be excited to see what comes up first and I will be excited to see what I can harvest first! I can't wait for that platter of fresh tomatoes with every meal, the fresh green beans sauteed with garlic, the piles of fresh lettuce and squash.....mmmmmm!


sunflowers and jalapenos. planted.



Hopefully the weather will cooperate and this year's garden will provide lots of goodies for our table.

So, do you plant a garden or at least a few patio pots with a few goodies? Have you already planted? What's on tap for your weekend?


Have a great one!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH! sandra! you ave inspired me to finally get going on those containers of strawberries and tomatoes i've been wanting to plant with the kids. can't plant in the ground here (we have "desert landcape"--meaning no dirt, only rocks), but i can certainly plant in containers!!
looks like you had a great time.
stephanie
(cherishingmydays)

Megan said...

How fun! This is my first spring here and Im itching to plant even though I know nothing about anything to do with gardens. I just want something flowery and bushy. And Im still lost :P

...they call me mommy... said...

We are planning on starting some tomatoes & green pepper indoors next week! Great photos! So refreshing and GREEN! :) I LOVE SUNFLOWERS and ended up planting about 5 lbs of birdseed sunflower seeds! I had a HUGE field of sunflowers, it was wonderful! Ooooohhh! I can't wait! :-)

Thanks for sharing!

Leslie said...

we had our first warm day today and it got me thinking about a garden....at the very least i want to have a large herb pot, some tomato and lettuce...i think things i can use to make a salad. i look forward to reading how your garden grows

Amy said...

Lovely photos. You are always so inspiring. Your blog has the perfect name!

Julia said...

Ummm, our ground is still frozen up here!!! I'm so jealous. I miss the south. Unfortunately, I have a black thumb of death. We've tried the past two springs to have a garden and nothing happens! Oh, except for our rhubarb plant, that thing grows like a weed and we completely ignore it. Good thing we all like rhubarb pie!

Helen said...

good for you! We are just a little behind this year -- but next weekend for sure.

Julie said...

I started mine this weekend when I should have been painting, too. Our living room is in desperate need. But this lovely weather was calling us out. So far we've pansies, brussell sprouts, strawberries and rosemary. No planning here, just whatever struck my fancy! :)

randi said...

I think it is great that you are planting already! We can plant our early veggies soon, but the tomatoes have to wait until May. Must apply patience.....

I wish I could have chickens too. We have 1-1/2 acres, but there are covenants that say no farm animals. When houses start selling again, we are thinking of moving to a house where we can have some. It sounds wonderful to eat a fresh egg!

Kate in NJ said...

I don't know enough about them to keep them alive,I fear, but I would love chickens.
We have started our greens..lettuce,bok choi,
collards,mustards...peas we direct sow on St Patty's Day. Peppers and Eggplants are next.
;-)