Friday, January 9, 2009

the quilt....

Ava Rose Quilt...#1



I never shared :) The busyness of the holiday week and wedding photographs and all the processing and organization of those photos made me forget all about sharing the quilt I had talked about making, lol! I nearly forgot to even get a photo of it....I snapped these few before I put it in the gift bag by draping it over the back of the couch. I had planned on taking it outside in the fresh air and sunshine to hang on the clothes line while I took some grand pictures, however, it has been so gray and foggy and humid and rainy lately that this is the best I could do :) I am so glad that for the last couple of days we have had beautiful sunshine and spring-like temps. The air outside has been light and just perfect! There is no better way to lift those cold winter spirits than a warm, sunnny day.



Ava Rose...#3



Now, on to my quilt. I finished it when I was hoping to and I am so pleased with how it has turned out. I love the Ava Rose fabrics together and the blend of red and white is my favorite. I made this quilt by following the general directions in Bend The Rules Sewing. Have you had your hands on that book yet? I LOVE that book! It is absolutely full of wonderful ideas and projects. It is sort of like a little encouragement book written by a friend or at least that is how I feel when I read through it every time. The incredibly cute projects with great generalized instructions that make you feel like you can change anything she suggests at any time is just my kind of sewing book since I'm not really a "follow the instructions to the letter" kind of gal ;) I have always had a hard time with following instructions (especially recipes), lol.....not that I don't want to do it as said, but always wanting to do things in the way that is best or easiest for me. Hmmm...I now have to wonder what that says about me... :)



Ava Rose...#2



Anyway, I pieced the quilt top in different sized rectangular pieces and the backing is mostly white with a strip of the printed fabrics. I made the binding from rotating strips of white fabric and the floral print fabric. This was the first time I tried binding on a quilt and am pleased to say that it went perfectly. The top half was machine done and I hand stitched the back of the binding, which requires a really long movie to accomplish :) I think my mother in law really liked the quilt and the red and white will fit in perfectly in her house. All in all, I am really pleased with it. Enough so that I plan on purchasing some of this gorgeous fabric to make my two girlies a new quilt for their beds. Then, hopefully, before I run out of quilt-steam, I'd love to make another for my own bed. Really, what better way to fill the dreary winter grayness than with all this gorgeous fabric and dreams of spring?


That is exactly what I hope to do with my time this weekend...dream of spring, unwind from the holiday season, unwind from my mind being so cluttered with to-do's, trying to refocus my direction - with school work, house work, and where my quality time is spent, start mentally planning some things I'd like to accomplish the rest of this winter, also decide on my word for the year. I haven't had much free time to really think about and consider a word that will fit my goals for myself this year, so although I'm a little late deciding, I hope to have chosen my word and start putting it into use by next week. So do you have a word for this year? I know some other blogging friends who do and I find it fascinating to hear the words of others and why they were chosen...if you want to share your ideas with me, I'm all ears ;)





Happy Friday...Happy Weekend!

9 comments:

Kate in NJ said...

Beautiful! I cannot sew.
You make me wish I could.
I have that book out from the library
(I asked them to purchase it for me..lol)
and really want to learn this year.
My Mum-in-law makes lovely quilts as well.

knitsational said...

That is so beautiful! I have been wanting to learn to quilt for so long, but, I too hate to follow directions, so, I haven't. The fabric youv'e picked out for your girls is enough to inspire anyone to quilt, though!

Amy said...

So pretty, but I also love red, and flower/stripe/check combinations are my favorites. I LOVE the fabrics you've chosen for your girls!

Little Munchkins said...

That is gorgeous! Love the colours.

Tonya Richard said...

The quilt is just beautiful!!! I love the Ava Rose fabric. I started cutting out my Ava Rose fabric for a quilt for *my* mom ; ) This is the first sewing I have done since before Christmas. It felt good to have fabric in my hands again.

Witchypoo said...

Your quilt is beautiful. So fresh and clean looking. Thank you so much for becoming a follower on my blog,I am most honoured, and well chuffed! Hope you and all your family are well!

Fontaine said...

lovely! the recipient was very lucky indeed. I'm glad you got pictures of it before you gifted it :)
I hope you get lots more time to create in the near future, and I for one, can't wait to see what else you come up with!

dawn said...

it's so beautiful and you did a stellar job on it. your handwork is meticulous. is there anything you can't do? :)

i have loved our weather too these past couple of days (i know non-southerners are hating us right now) but, i heard it's going to go all gray and cold again next week. yuck.

"Dove" said...

Oh....pardon me, while I wipe the drool from my keyboard.

You had me at the red and white. :)

I'm going to check out that book you mentioned, and the title inspired me with a word....

BENDING.

Something that is (usually) fun to do, is necessary in a busy and bustling house, and always makes life go more smoothly if I could just remember to do it more often.

I think "bending" is a good '09 word. :)

...by the way...you probably already know to do this, so sorry if this is old news, but I always think a small, hand drawn quilt label sewn into the corner of the quilt backing with a name, date, and dedication is so special! :)

Keep sewing, and posting more drool worthy quilt photos. If I can't bend the rules enough to find time to quilt here, I'll at least enjoy your creations!