Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Slow

taking it slow

"Slow" is the new theme at Self Portrait Challenge and I thought this was a fitting time of year to focus on slow. I am a person who loves a slow pace. I don't like excessive busyness, having my plate too full, losing my focus, not taking time to breathe....

I love this time of year because I love the reason we celebrate, not the hustle and bustle, shopping, wasting precious time in stores searching for gifts that honestly, most of us don't need. I love the little moments of decorating, baking cookies, smelling the Christmas tree scent cover the house, enjoying the fireplace warmth every night while the kids play in the family room, listening to Christmas music almost exclusively, watching a few good Christmas movies that are shown only at this time of year, and taking time to absorb all the good stuff.


Jotham's Journey


This year, we've added a great Advent storybook to our Christmas celebration. We'll be reading Jotham's Journey over the next few weeks and I think we'll really enjoy it. The first two nights were very interesting and the kids are waiting for the next part :)



what it's about



After our story, we stayed quietly around the fire while my boys practiced their guitar playing. They are doing really well with their playing, learning more all the time, and the best part is that they love it. They love practicing and figuring out the chords and they are sounding so good lately. :-)


at home....



I love these slow times. I love the memories made and the togetherness of family that being slow brings. I hope you too, can find moments of slow in your everyday lives this month.

10 comments:

Tonya said...

I'm with you, I love having a slow paced life. I hate when things get too busy. Most of my real life friends like busyness. Sometimes I really feel like the odd one out LOL

shannon hawkyard said...

Yeah! We found Jotham's Journey a few years ago (when it was NOT in print and you had to buy it used on Ebay or Amazon for like $30.00!)and have LOVED using it. The kids look forward to this time of the day every day, and so do we. We made an advent wreath to re-use each year as well. This year, we've started the second book in the trilogy, "Bartholomew's Passage",which has proved to be equally as wonderful! The whole family settles in after dinner with candles lit and gets lost in the story and Wonder of our Lord and His power. We have a bit of prayer time and sing a song or two too.
Seems like you and I have similar tastes in so many things: books, movies, homeschool curriculum, love of photography, and the Lord. (jewelry too, as I've purchased a few lovely things from Canela at Cinnamon Sticks on Etsy!)
Nice to join you all by the fire, friend.
Have a beautiful day!
Shannon :)

shannon hawkyard said...

Yeah! We found Jotham's Journey a few years ago (when it was NOT in print and you had to buy it used on Ebay or Amazon for like $30.00!)and have LOVED using it. The kids look forward to this time of the day every day, and so do we. We made an advent wreath to re-use each year as well. This year, we've started the second book in the trilogy, "Bartholomew's Passage",which has proved to be equally as wonderful! The whole family settles in after dinner with candles lit and gets lost in the story and Wonder of our Lord and His power. We have a bit of prayer time and sing a song or two too.
Seems like you and I have similar tastes in so many things: books, movies, homeschool curriculum, love of photography, and the Lord. (jewelry too, as I've purchased a few lovely things from Canela at Cinnamon Sticks on Etsy!)
Nice to join you all by the fire, friend.
Have a beautiful day!
Shannon :)

shannon hawkyard said...

Ooooppss! So sorry, I must have hit the "publish" key too many times.

Happy Day :)

Kate in NJ said...

Sounds lovely.
I like slow. We have not yet begun to decorate here, but we will soon. ;-)

mommy to four j's said...

I love the Christmas season I really love Christmas music

Amy said...

Slow. Aaah, you make it look so good and so desirable. I'm finding lately that my "slow" is not enjoyed as much as it should be due to my own self-imposed guilt trips. It's nice to be reminded that slowing down is sometimes just as important as trying to get things done.

Andrea said...

I really love slow too! It's why handwork is enjoyable to me...because it is sloooow!

"Dove" said...

I have heard wonderful things about that Advent book. What a great way to spend some s-l-o-w moments. :)

Darcy said...

We are reading Jotham's Journey for the first time this year as well. My kids are loving the story!