Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Because you were curious....

Christmas stockings


These are the Christmas stockings peeking into yesterday's post. I had several requests to see them from my Flickr contacts and my blog readers, so here they are! These are stockings that my mom made for me from an old quilt top that my grandmother never finished. There was just enough to make these for us and I couldn't have been happier with them. I embroidered our names on them and they are, by far, my most favorite decorations every year.

one for each of us......

This year, the kids decided that every winter and Christmas figurine had to be displayed on the mantle...together, lol! I kinda like it now that they're up on the mantle and not scattered around the entire house cluttering up every table top and empty space.

This is the one time of year that I am so very happy with my wood walls and dark, cozy colors. During the spring and summer I long for yellow walls and big windows covered with soft, flowing white curtains filtering the sunlight, but in the fall and winter, I love how these rich pine walls and dark fireplace make the house so warm and cozy. I especially love it when we pile on the Christmas decorations ;)

What are some of your favorite Christmas decorations?

9 comments:

Bethany said...

Those look so beautiful and homey. What a great idea to use old quilt tops for those.

Tori said...

I love those, so pretty. I like the whole country look, very nice!

Jessica said...

I absolutely love those stockings! I made some this past weekend...but they are a far cry from yours!

Charity said...

Love those stockings!! :0)

Greg, Jessy, Grace, Jack, Nora, and Lexi said...

So cute! Way better than the $12 ones at Target...and a lot more sentimental! I'd say my favorite decoration is our star atop our tree. My students made it for me while I was a teacher in the Marshall Islands. It's simple; made of palm fronds braided together and shells they found. That and our stuffed dog and bear that bark/growl songs when you squeeze them. Dh and I got married in December so at our bridal shower everyone brought us Christmas ornaments. This year we decided to put ALL the decorations on the tree...a bit eclectic/hodge-podge but it's nice.

randi---i have to say said...

Those stockings are lovely, and what a wonderful keepsake! Very special!

Aubry made stocking for us this year and she is REALLY excited to put them up. I will have to get the stocking hangers out soon!

"Dove" said...

I love the mantle! I think you should call it a "grouping" and give it two thumbs up for BIG impact. :)

More = Better is my favorite Christmas equation.

Those stockings are absolutely fabulous. My husband grew up with names on stockings, and every year I say I'm going to make some with our names on them. Yours are cozy and charming. I just love them.

I think my favorite decoration is my Dicken's village. It takes a long time to set up, but I love to see it come to life.

Kate in NJ said...

I'm going to try "hosting" a share your holiday decor pics on my blog over the next few Fridays..I hope you'll join in.
:-)

Andrea said...

I can see why those would be a year-to-year favorite! What a keepsake! I love things like that! :)

Your home looks cozy and Christmasy....makes me want to be able to curl up in front of your fire and knit or quilt or read a book with a warm cup of chocolate beside me!

Have a great day!