Saturday, October 18, 2008

When I wasn't sewing.....

This is what I was doing........



pumpkin butter

I've been in the canning mood lately. I've canned quite a few jars of diced tomatoes and also made some yummy pumpkin butter. I love pumpkin....stuffed pumpkin (here is my recipe...just excuse last year's photos, lol...I'll try to make some better ones this year), pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin bread, and pumpkin butter. One of my most favorite things about autumn is pumpkin! And what better way to make this wonderful season last the whole year through than by preserving the taste of fall in pumpkin butter :)


All you need is a pumpkin, some sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger and a few canning jars.....and you can have this delicious Pumpkin Butter! It is really very easy to put together.

Here's how you do it...... Wash and clean out your pumpkin as shown. Then cut into large wedges.

pumpkin wedge



Next, cut those wedges into chunks and add them to a large pot of boiling water. Boil them for about 20 - 30 minutes, until really soft. While your pumpkin is cooking, wash and prepare your canning jars and lids. For about 8 cups of puree, you'll need about 5 or6 pint jars.


pumpkin pieces


Then, get out your food processor and gather your sugar and spices. With my medium size pumpkin, I ended up with about 8 cups of pumpkin puree, so adjust your spices accordingly to the amount of puree you have and, of course, your taste :-)


spices and jars



Peel the skin from the boiled pumpkin, after it cools a bit, then load it in the food processor. Puree it until it is smooth, then add it into another large pot. To the 8 cups of puree, we add 4 cups of sugar, 4 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 1/2 Tablespoons of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of ground cloves and 1 teaspoon of ground ginger. Then, of course, you mix it all very well. Cook again over low heat (covered) for about 20 minutes to let the mixture thicken and take on the taste of the spices. After about 20 minutes, when the mixture has a thicker consistency, remove it from the heat and spoon it into jars. Fill them, wipe the rims and put on the lids and bands. Submerge them in a stock pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes or so. Carefully remove the jars from the hot water and place on a dishtowel to cool. As the jars cool, you'll hear the joyful "pop" of the lids sealing.....yay! You're done!


pumpkin butter



Now, just put the jars in your pantry...or, better yet, give these as holiday gifts! You know, the holiday season is right around the corner! And who wouldn't love and appreciate a basket of homemade goodies!?



pumpkin butter



You can use pumpkin butter in many ways, including toast, bagels, on pancakes and waffles, warmed up and spooned over vanilla ice cream and topped with a sprinkling of pecans, swirled around in your Thanksgiving cheesecake recipe.....the possibilities are endless!


Have a yummy weekend! :)


12 comments:

Darcy said...

This sounds great! Can't wait to try it. My family loves apple and pear butters so I'm sure pumpkin will be a hit too!

Greg, Jessy, Grace, Jack, Nora, and Lexi said...

Awesome! I can't wait to try it!

aswewalk.com said...

Oh, YUM!

Tori said...

Great tutorial, looks super yummy!!

dawn said...

yums. how about giving one of those pumpkin butters away in a raffle?
(only if i win!)
:)

VPS said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm about butternut squash, like you are about pumpkin & have similar "gutty" photos I'll be posting!

Autumn! I REVEL in it!

Jessica said...

I have a couple of pie pumpkins just waiting to be cut into ....

Kate in NJ said...

Mmmm...I love pumpkin butter.
We have several pumpkins from the garden this year, so I will have to try it.

Amy said...

Copied and pasted from my blog today:

My, oh my! I made pumpkin butter tonight and it was worth every bit of the effort. D.e.l.i.c.i.o.u.s!! We ate it over vanilla ice cream along with pumpkin streusel muffins (I had extra pureed pumpkin, so we ended up with 48 muffins!) I don't have the supplies to can the pumpkin butter, but I plan to freeze the extra for now. From a non-pumpkin lover: A big thank you to Sandra for that wonderful recipe.

:0)

Leslie said...

thank you for this great recipe. I had pumpkins that i wanted to turn to pumpkin butter but could not find a recipe , but when i found yours i knew it was the one i was going to try. It turned out awesome!!!!

Cora said...

This looks and sounds good...I may have to try this....thanks for sharing!

Deven said...

Making pumpkin butter & toasting pumpkin seeds w/garlic salt!

;-D