Monday, October 27, 2008

I did it!

What I'd like to be doing....



Remember a few weeks ago, during my week in the life project, when I posted the photo above about wishing I had time to do some knitting? Well, I made time and I also made my first completed project......



knitting



...a new scarf! I'm so glad I made myself find some time to sit down every evening and let my hands stay busy while my mind relaxed. I started teaching myself to knit last fall, knitting ( in a practicing sort of way) all the time, but always unraveling each piece until I could get it "right." My kids thought I had a serious problem with all the unraveling I was doing, but I was never satisfied - until now. The needles felt better in my hands, the stitches were cast on, and the project flowed like it was supposed to. Of course, this was a simple project, easily completed in a couple of evenings, but I'm still so glad that I finally finished something worth keeping, lol!



finished scarf



Oh, I think I could certainly get used to this and all the wonderful, soft, knitted projects that I could work on. The beautiful yarn, the colors, sitting next to a warm fire every night, the busyness of hands that brings peace of mind...yes, I could definitely get used to this.


knitted scarf

10 comments:

Lynn said...

It's beautiful! Miss Priss and I are working on scarves using our little circular "knitters." I crochet, but don't knit, and I found that the little kit was good for us both, but I would love to be a true knitter! ;)

Lynn

Tonya said...

very nice! I love to knit, but havn't done any in quite awhile. Not enough time in the day to include all of my favorite hobbies lol Right now I am addicted to English Paper piecing. This is what I do with my quiet time every evening. I didn't realize how much I would enjoy hand sewing.

Like you, I taught myself how to knit and would also unravel everything until I really got the hang of it LOL

Paige said...

Oooo, yay! Welcome to "The Land of Handknits." You're gonna love it!

aswewalk.com said...

VERY pretty!

dawn said...

ooooh! so pretty! is there nothing you can't do and do so beautifully? oh and picnik? i'm in trouble now.....! thanks for that...i think! hahaha!

quilterpolly said...

I love it. Great job:)

Kate in NJ said...

That is so pretty! I am impressed..
I can't make anything except dinner. lol

randi---i have to say said...

Oh, I love it! Knitting + Cold Weather = Fabulous!

I just signed up for a sock knitting class at our brand new yarn store in town. I can't wait to figure it out because the last time I tried it stressed me out way too much. I want to learn the relaxing way of knitting! ;)

prettywithribbons said...

congrats! It feels good to try something new and actually figure it out. Now, on to a sweater...

Ashley said...

Congrats on completing your first knitting project! Be careful though...it's very addicting! All the beautiful colors & textures of yarn in the knitting shops! My stash is hidden all over the house so that no one knows the extent of it! :P