Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Does Anyone Like Fruit and Cream ???




Here's a little recipe for a fruit cobbler/crisp that I've been wanting to share. This is a dessert that I have been able to have freely on my low carb/candida control diet for the past six months and it has been soooo wonderful to have. With options like this, I really don't feel like I'm dieting. I have this a couple of times a week for dessert and the leftovers are perfect for breakfast the next morning ;) You can use any fruit you have on hand....strawberries, apples, peaches, blueberries, blackberries.....whatever you like. The ingredients are fruit, whole oats, butter, cream, and a dash of cinnamon - very basic, simple, and wholesome. It's quick and easy to whip up, too! Here's how it goes together:

First gather these items:

  • 2 cups whole, old fashioned oatmeal
  • 3 Tbsp sugar or other sweetener (xylitol, splenda, honey, molasses, etc.)
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream (because of the low moisture content of apples, I use 2/3 c. or 1/2 c. cream when using them)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • fruit, your choice - enough to cover bottom of 9x9 baking dish (I used 2 cans of peaches, drained and a handful of blueberries)





For Whipped Cream topping:

  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 Tbsp sugar or other sweetener
  • 1 tsp vanilla


*********************************************************************************


First, add your oats to a food processor and chop on the high setting for at least a minute - until the oats are very finely chopped.






Then add your sweetener, cinnamon, and stick of butter and process again until it is well blended.





Next, add your fruit to your baking dish and pour the cream over the fruit.






Crumble the oat and butter topping over the fruit and cream. Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes.









To make the whipped cream:

Pour 1 cup cream into mixer bowl.





Turn the mixer on high and while the cream is whipping, add the sweetener and vanilla. Whip on high until the cream forms stiff peaks. Do not over-whip.





It's ready! Take a serving of cobbler and top it with a dollop of cream. YUM!






Enjoy!

6 comments:

randi---i have to say said...

Yum! That looks so good. Thanks for the recipe!

Kate in NJ said...

Oh YUM!!
I can't wait to try this.

Amy said...

Just wanted to let you know that I've recently stumbled across your blog and I love it! I love your mix of inspiration in so many areas that I enjoy - homeschooling, photography, cooking, sewing, etc. You have inspired me numerous times already. (P.S. I linked you from my blog - hope that's o.k. with you.)

Cherishing My Days said...

looks delish! thanks for the inspiration!

Bethany said...

That looks TANTALIZING! I would love to have a bite of that.

Beautiful photographs as well.

Kate in NJ said...

PS, There is a "blog award" at my blog for you.:-D