Monday, September 22, 2008

Corn Chowder & Garlic Cheese Biscuits













This recipe is one of my favorites and the first one I think of when I start craving soup. It is really easy to make and is so delicious with the garlic cheese biscuits! You must give it a try!




corn chowder and biscuits





First Gather these ingredients:

5 0r 6 slices of bacon, chopped
1 yellow onion
3-4 small potatoes
3/4 cup water
1 can (1 lb) cream style corn {I always use frozen corn and adjust the liquid just a bit}
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Chopped Parsley




corn chowder ingredients



Cut your bacon into dices as shown and add to the bottom of your pot over a medium heat. Dice your onion and potatoes and add them to your bacon in the pot. Let them saute over medium/high heat for several minutes, then add your water. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Then, reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer potato mixture for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender but not mushy.

Add cream style corn (or your frozen corn) undrained, to potato mixture, Stir in milk, butter, salt, and pepper. Cover pan and simmer 5 minutes (or longer if you used frozen corn) until chowder is very hot. Keep warm while you prepare the biscuits. When ready to serve, sprinkle with parsley.




Now, to make the biscuits..........don't be afraid to try this.......the recipe is easy and the finished product will be well worth the tiniest bit more effort over that box of Bisqu*ck! Get your little ones in the kitchen to help you cut these out - they love cooking like this!

Here's what you'll need:

2 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 cup shredded cheddar (or any cheese you prefer...last night I added a handful of parmesan...yummm!)
1/3 cup vegetable shortening (I use 1 stick of butter in place of the shortening...just FYI)
about 3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375F. Add flour, salt, garlic powder, and baking powder to mixing bowl and toss with the cheese. "Cut in" shortening or butter with a fork or pastry blender....or just get in there with your clean dry hand and crumble the mixture together until it resembles coarse cornmeal. (I think that is the easiest way to mix and get it combined really well) Make a "well" in the center of your mixture and pour in 2/3 of your milk all at once. Stir your dough quickly with a fork, combining from the middle out to the edges. If the mixture is a little dry, add more milk, but only enough to form a dough ball. Bring it together and turn it out onto your floured surface. It will look like this:



biscuit dough



Then you'll want to sprinkle a bit of flour over the dough ball and knead it about 5 times. Then take your rolling pin and roll out to about 3/4 inch thickness and cut with your biscuit cutter...or the top of a drinking glass ;)



making biscuits



Place your biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Watch them for the color....once they begin to lightly brown, they're ready!





homemade garlic cheese biscuits



Now, this is an easy homemade meal that is perfect on cool evenings. Just try not to get too addicted to those biscuits.....it's hard, I know ;)


Enjoy!

10 comments:

quilterpolly said...

oh it looks so yummy...perfect day here in southern California even for soup and biscuits.
Polly

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I have got to try your soup recipe. It looks yummy!

Alexis said...

I can't wait to make your soup! I am a little bit afraid that I will become addicted to the biscuits!

Paige said...

Must try this one for sure! Especially the biscuits...thanks!

Beth said...

Thanks for your comment and visiting my blog. Love your photos, recipe and your triple-post. You go, you multitasker! I also love seeing pictures of your twins. Ours twin girls are just 3 y.o. (with a 1 y.o. sister) and seeing pictures of your boys reminds me that they WILL grow up; and out of the ever-present whining stage. In the meantime, I'll follow your link to the princess streamers and just roll with it.

Darcy said...

Those biscuits are the perfect side to the chowder. I'm making them soon!

Gorgeous photos too!

Jessica said...

Can you believe I've never made homemade biscuits?? I haven't, but when I do (which will be very soon!) I'll make these. The soup sounds soooooo good too...like something I would make on a cold snow day from school!!! Thanks for sharing in the Soup Swap!

MamaBlogger said...

YUM! this is definitely on my list, especially since i have 4 potatoes begging to be used! perfect fall soup!

Sarah said...

Oh, be still my heart...this looks hearty! I'll have to try it.

Bethany said...

That looks so beautiful! What pretty dishes you are serving them in too!