Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Self Portrait Challenge : Skill

Well, I finally decided to just do it....the Self Portrait Challenge, that is! I've been browsing all the amazing entries for nearly a year now, always thinking I'd join in with the next month's theme, and of course, I never would.

For so long now....well, forever, I have always really disliked to see myself in photos...always a really weird feeling about seeing myself. Then, after realizing that there are really very, very few pictures of me in existence....I thought about how sad that is. How will my kids remember me one day? In way too many of the photos I've turned my face away, hidden behind my hands, hardly ever smile, and I have very few photos with my kids. Why?, you ask.... Well, I'm sure the answer could be very complex if I dug far enough....things like feeling miserably self-conscious, perhaps feeling not good enough....uggh...depressing thoughts like that, but we won't go any further into those!

The main point is that I want to change all that about myself...hopefully make myself see ME the way the world sees me, try to see with my own eyes the way I may be portraying myself to the world, and realizing that there really is nothing to be afraid of or to hide from.

So, here is my first endeavor into the world of self-portraits......

July's theme is Skill....here is the definition:

- abilities acquired through education, training, and experience
- a recognizable area of competence
- the physical capacity for effective performance



spc:  Skill:  Sewing




A few closing thoughts on fear:

"Fear is static that prevents me from hearing myself." ~Samuel Butler


"He who fears something gives it power over him." ~Moorish Proverb


"The way you overcome shyness is to become so wrapped up in something that you forget to be afraid." ~Lady Bird Johnson





So, do you want to join in? See more at selfportraitchallenge :)

13 comments:

Rebekah said...

What a great entry for your first spc! I'm glad you decided to join in, I think you'll find you'll get very wrapped up in it, as your quote from Lady Bird Johnson says :)

And, as for the sewing, I couldn't agree more!

Kate in NJ said...

I am the same way with pictures of myself, I am always behind the camera. Thank you for visiting my blog and I look forward to visiting here again too.

randi said...

I am trying to let myself be photographed (with a smile) more often these days. I want someone someday to know that I was here!

I don't think I have ever seen a picture of you and I am really glad you posted one. It is good to know what one's friends look like! :)

Carrie said...

yes, Sandra I often feel the same way about myself!

Your hair is so very lovely..

Love,
Carrie.

Jeremy Stockwell said...

Welcome to SPC! A wonderful entry for your first. Fantastic color theme. You posess a good practical skill.

Deb R said...

Welcome to the challenge! So glad you decided to take part! If you stick with it, it really does help (some...heh) that that thing of hating to be in front of the camera and it'll be so great someday for your kids to have these wonderful photos of their mother. Your first entry is lovely!

Tori said...

That's a wonderful starter picture. BTW, your lovely, you shouldn't hide!!

JulieZS said...

Love this one, as a fellow sewist especially. Welcome to the challenge, I'm glad you've chosen to jump in. It is hard to put yourself out there every week, but it is really rewarding after a while. Stick with it!

Greg, Jessy, Grace, Jack, Nora, & Lexi said...

Beautiful! You look peaceful...something we all need in this crazy world. What a great hobby!

Jessica said...

I feel the same way you do about photographs, I always look away or delete the ones with my face. The ones that do survive, I look funky in. I do love your thoughts in this post and your first self portrait. I might just have to join in!

Donna Boucher said...

I love your self portrait.

You will never regret it. It is a good thing to get over when you are still young :o)

geek-betty said...

I can't wait to get a sewing machine!

Lynn said...

I read this before and meant to comment but got side-tracked, and now I'm here again. If that's you in the photo, you are absolutely lovely and you should never hide! Don't hide anymore from photos! Okay?

Hugs,
Lynn