Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A new craft apron.....

...That is what I made last weekend....one for my me and one for my Mom's birthday on Sunday.

new patchwork craft apron

I made them exactly the same using the same fabric. I love the colors in this fabric, it has been one of my favorites from Urban Chiks. I combined the Heirloom Bark, Chickadee Bark, and osnaburg for the patchwork on the pockets. The actual apron body is canvas lined with solid brown. I got the fabulous tutorial over at Creative Little Daisy. Her tutorial was easy to follow and the aprons did turn out exactly like I hoped.

patchwork pocket detail

I really like how they turned out and this was my very first try at patchwork/quilting.....and I do believe I could get used to it! I felt a little intimidated at first, but once I got the pieces cut, arranged and then sewn together like I wanted them to look, I was really happy. I thought keeping the seams perfectly in line and the quilting stitches straight would be a slow process, but with just the tiniest bit of extra attention, it turned out just like I wanted.

Now, my mind keeps drifting back to Angry Chicken's book, Bend The Rules Sewing. She had a fabulous quilt idea in there....one I would love to make for my girls beds :) I do believe I'll be giving it a try before much longer!

6 comments:

Randi said...

Love the apron!

Tori said...

Love this apron, the colors are wonderful. I've been meaning to make one of those and still haven't managed it, thanks for the motivation!

Jessica said...

I love the apron you made-and I really like the fabric you choose as well. I think I know the pattern you are thinking of in BTRS. It's really cute. I bought fabric for the quilt a couple weeks back...but there it sits, victim of end-of-the-school-year-madness.

margaretha said...

All your photos are gorgeous!
Margaretha

Dana said...

Fabulous! Hmmmm... maybe I need to try one.

Autum said...

It turned out beautifully! Be careful, that patchwork sewing can be very addictive!